I'm crazy about caramel so when I saw a sign at my regular coffee shop featuring all things caramel, I got pretty excited and splurged on a big caramel-filled muffin and a caramel latte. Both were such a treat, but that muffin was memorable!
In fact, that very night, I dreamt about that decadent chocolate muffin that was oozing with caramel and sprinkled with salt. And my mission to recreate it began the very next morning! A few tries toward perfection and I might venture to say mine turned out even better than the one I enjoyed at the coffee shop! :)
The muffins are rich and chocoaltey and the caramel is plentiful. The touch of salt just brings it all together making them amazingly irresistible!
One big bowl is all you need to get the batter ready to bake! Let me show you how...
Start by whisking together all the dry ingredients...
Add the wet ingredients and stir until just combined...
Fold in the chocolate chips...
Divide the batter evenly among 12 prepared muffin cups filling each one completely full...
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean...
Place the caramel in a bag or container fitted with a decorating tip. Insert a few tablespoons of caramel into the center of each muffin letting it overflow out the top...
Remove muffins from the pan and enjoy! They're dreamy & delicious, that's for sure!
Salted Caramel Chocolate Muffins
2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
1-1/2 cups caramel topping
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line each cup of a 12-cup muffin pan with liners and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. Make a well in the center and add the oil, milk, sour cream, eggs and vanilla. Stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups, filling each cup all the way full. Sprinkle each cup with a pinch of sea salt.
5. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean. Let muffins set in pan for 10 minutes.
6. Fit a pastry bag, frosting holder, or plastic baggie with a long decorating tip. Fill the bag with the caramel. Insert the tip through the top of the muffin to a depth of about one inch. Insert two tablespoons of caramel into each muffin until it starts to flow out the top. Let muffins set in pan another 10 minutes before removing.
Store in an airtight container.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time (start to finish): 40 minutes