CHEWY NEW YORK STYLE BAGELS
60 min Prep
11 hr 5 min Total
No need to take a trip to New York to get a taste of these classic chewy bagels made from scratch!
- 7 to 8 cups Gold Medal™ bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fast-acting dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups very warm water (120°F to 130°F)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt or 1/4 cup sesame seed, if desired
- In large bowl, mix 4 cups of the flour and 1 teaspoon of the yeast with whisk. Add very warm water; beat with whisk just until sticky dough forms. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let stand 1 to 2 hours at room temperature until bubbly.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon yeast, 3 cups flour, 1 tablespoon salt and the brown sugar. Stir with wooden spoon until shaggy dough forms.
- Transfer dough to well floured surface; knead by hand 15 minutes, adding just enough remaining flour until dough is smooth, firm and satiny.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape each piece into ball. Cover with damp towel, and let rest 20 minutes. Meanwhile, line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with cooking parchment paper; spray with cooking spray.
- Shape dough into bagels by poking hole in center of each ball of dough with thumb, and gently rotating dough with fingers until hole is 1 1/2 inches wide and dough is even thickness all around. Set 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Spray bagels lightly with cooking spray, then cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let rest 20 minutes at room temperature. Refrigerate covered bagels 8 hours.
- Heat oven to 500°F. Heat 4-quart or larger saucepan of water to boiling. Add baking soda.
- Meanwhile, line 2 large baking sheets with cooking parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray; sprinkle lightly with cornmeal.
- Uncover bagels, and carefully drop into boiling water, one at a time (boil no more than 3 bagels at a time). Boil 2 minutes, then use slotted spoon to carefully turn bagels. Boil 2 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon, and transfer to baking sheets. Sprinkle top of each bagel with 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or 1 teaspoon sesame seed.
- Bake 10 minutes, then rotate pans, and bake 3 to 5 minutes or until bagels are golden brown. Transfer bagels to cooling rack; cool 10 minutes before slicing.
- To make mini bagels, divide dough into 24 pieces before shaping into bagels.
- For less chewy bagels, boil bagels only 1 minute on each side.
You May Also Like
Pumpkin Drop Cookies
Fill your cookie jar with these spicy pumpkin drop cookies that are both tasty and...
Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Just like the name says, this is the chocolate chip cookie extraordinaire!