15 min Prep
15 min Total
Use this recipe for Royal Icing to frost your favorite cutout sugar cookies. The icing will set, making cookies stackable!
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In large bowl, mix powdered sugar, meringue powder and cream of tartar. Add warm water and vanilla. Beat on low speed to blend; beat on high speed 6 to 8 minutes or until very stiff. Cover bowl with plastic wrap to keep icing from drying.
- Use as desired to decorate cookies.
- Meringue powder can be found in craft stores with the cake decorating supplies. Meringue powder is a mixture of pasteurized egg whites, sugar and gums. It makes the icing set up quickly with a hard finish.
- An easy way to apply the royal icing is to use a disposable decorating bag, which makes for easy cleanup!
- Use gel food colors as desired to tint the icing.
You May Also Like
Classic Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Savor a classic! A brown sugar, nut and spice filling is layered and baked in a rich...
The perfect recipe for an abundant apple season. After one taste, you’ll want to make it...
Twisting ropes of colored dough is the secret to peppermint-swirled buttery cookies.