BLACKBERRY COFFEE CAKE
25 min Prep
3 hr 10 min Total
Have you ever picked sun-ripened plump blackberries? You've just picked a great coffee cake to bake them in!
- 1 1/4 cups frozen (thawed and well drained) blackberries
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/4 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons water
Powdered Sugar Glaze
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and side of 10-inch angel food (tube) cake pan with shortening; lightly flour.
- In small bowl, mix all Blackberry Filling ingredients; set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and baking soda; set aside. In large bowl, beat granulated sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in flour mixture alternately with sour cream on low speed.
- Spread one-third of the batter in pan; sprinkle with half of the filling. Spoon another one-third of the batter by tablespoonfuls over filling; sprinkle with remaining filling. Spoon remaining batter over filling; spread evenly.
- Bake coffee cake 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir all Powdered Sugar Glaze ingredients until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle over cooled coffee cake.
- Dripping with the juicy, sweet flavor of blackberries, this glorious coffee cake is a great make-ahead treat. Wrap it tightly, and tuck it away in your freezer for up to 2 months to serve when unexpected guests drop by.
- For an extra-nutty crunch, sprinkle some chopped toasted pecans over the glazed cake.
You May Also Like
Irish Soda Bread
Whether or not you're Irish, this classic quick bread recipe brings great taste into your...
Butter, whipping cream and flour are the magic trio that creates dough that bakes into...
Chocolate Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream
The ultimate in decadence: chocolate cupcakes topped with sweet caramel buttercream with...