BLUEBERRY BREAKFAST CUPCAKES
10 min Prep
25 min Total
Cupcakes for breakfast?! Yes, please! No butter, oil or refined sugar needed to make these hearty whole wheat cupcakes that are bursting with blueberries and topped with a dreamy, creamy 3-ingredient frosting.
- 2 cups Gold Medal™ whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened (I use 1/3 less fat cream cheese)
- 3 tablespoons plain or vanilla-flavored Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup cupcake pan with cupcake liners and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the eggs, milk, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk until mixture is thick and well combined. Gently fold in the blueberries with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Divide mixture evenly among prepared cupcake liners, filling each one about 2/3 full. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out with a few crumbs on it. Let cupcakes cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese, Greek yogurt and maple syrup with a hand mixer (or in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment) on medium speed until smooth and spreadable, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Once cupcakes are cool, frost each cupcake with the maple cream cheese frosting.
- Store in the refrigerator.
You May Also Like
Classic Blueberry Pie
A simple pie like this easy fresh blueberry pie is often a forgotten dessert but one that...
Blueberry Oatmeal Bread
Sugar and spice and everything nice! Bake a sweet loaf with blueberries and oats too.