Carrot Cake

Carrot Cake

  • 20 Minutes Prep1 Hour 5 Minutes Total
  • 12 Servings
  • 440 Calories per Serving
Try this classic cake recipe, and you’ll make it a permanent addition to your collection!

Ingredient List


  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups shredded carrots (5 medium)
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Cream Cheese Frosting

  • 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • Nutmeg, if desired


  1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of one 13x9-inch pan or two 8-inch or 9-inch round pans with shortening; lightly flour. In large bowl, beat granulated sugar, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed about 30 seconds or until blended. Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, 1 teaspoon vanilla and the salt; beat on low speed 1 minute. Stir in carrots and nuts. Pour into pan(s).
  2. Bake 13x9-inch pan 40 to 45 minutes, round pans 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool rectangle in pan on cooling rack. Cool rounds 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
  3. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, on low speed until smooth and spreadable. Frost 13x9-inch cake or fill and frost round layers with frosting. Sprinkle nutmeg on frosted cake, if desired. Store in refrigerator.


  • Go nuts! Use pecans, almonds or hazelnuts instead of walnuts.
  • Save yourself time by using a 16-ounce container of Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy cream cheese frosting instead of the from-scratch recipe.

Nutrition Information

Daily Values (Amount per serving)

Total Fat 26g 40%, Saturated Fat 3 1/2g 18%, Cholesterol 55mg 18%, Sodium 230mg 10%, Potassium 170mg 5%, Total Carbohydrate 46g 15%, Dietary Fiber 2g 9%, Vitamin A 100%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 4%, Iron 10%, Vitamin D 0%, Vitamin E 10%, Thiamin 15%, Riboflavin 10%, Niacin 8%, Vitamin B6 6%, Folic Acid 10%, Vitamin B12 2%, Pantothenic Acid 4%, Phosphorus 10%, Magnesium 6%, Zinc 4%, Selenium 15%, Copper 10%, Manganese 30%

Other Nutrients (Amount per serving)

Calories 440, Calories from Fat 240, Trans Fat 0g, Monounsaturated Fat 6g, Polyunsaturated Fat 15g, Soluble Fiber 0g, Insoluble Fiber 1g, Sugars 27g, Protein 6g, Beta-Carotene 160%, Omega-3 2140g, Carbohydrate Choice 3, Starch 2, Fruit 0, Other Carbohydrate 1, Skim Milk 0, Low-Fat Milk 0, Milk 0, Vegetable 0, Very Lean Meat 0, Lean Meat 0, Medium-Fat Meat 0, High-Fat Meat 0, Fat 5, Fruits NC*, Vegetables NC*, Grains NC*, Meat & Beans NC*, Dairy NC*, Fats & Oils NC*

* NC indicates a nutritional value has not been calculated, which is typically due to either insufficient nutritional data for an ingredient or an incomplete analysis.