CARROT TOP GINGER CAKE
55 min Prep
1 hr 50 min Total
Delight your guests with tasty ginger carrot cake with cream cheese glaze!
- 1 1/4 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated or finely shredded carrots (about 3 medium)
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened (from 8-oz package)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Orange food color
- Green bite-size chewy sour candies
Cream Cheese Glaze and Carrot Top
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place cooking parchment paper in bottom of 13x9-inch pan. (Use small amount of butter to make it stay, if needed.) Grease paper and sides of pan with shortening. In large bowl, beat all Carrot Cake ingredients except carrots with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 3 minutes; stir in carrots. Pour into pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool completely on cooling rack, about 30 minutes; remove from pan. Place on cutting board.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter on low speed just until blended. Gradually stir in powdered sugar, vanilla and milk until thick glaze consistency. Stir in food color.
- Cut cake in half lengthwise; cut off thin strip off each short side of cake. Using toothpicks, mark 2 -inch pieces on long side of each cake. Cut each half of cake into triangles with 2-inch base for each triangle. Place cake pieces on rack over parchment paper. Drizzle frosting over cake pieces using spoon. Cut candy in half lengthwise, then partially cut into thin strips, not cutting all the way through. Use small knife to make slit in cake for carrot top at top of triangle; insert candy. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
- Candied, or crystallized, ginger is fresh gingerroot that has been boiled in a sugar syrup and coated with sugar crystals. Look for it in the baking aisle or produce area of your supermarket. One-half teaspoon ground ginger can be used in place of the crystallized ginger.
- The cake can be made a day ahead and stored loosely covered in refrigerator.