CHERRY-ALMOND REFRIGERATOR COOKIES
1 hr 15 min Prep
3 hr 30 min Total
Looking for a tasty holiday dessert? Then check out these cherry-almond cookies that can be made ahead of time.
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped red candied cherries
- Sprinkle almonds in ungreased heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until nuts begin to brown, then stirring constantly until nuts are light brown. Cool 10 minutes. In food processor, process almonds until finely chopped; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add egg and almond extract; beat on medium speed until smooth. On low speed, beat in flour, baking powder and salt until dough forms. Stir in cherries and chopped almonds.
- Form dough into 2 (8-inch) logs. Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Cut dough into 1/8- to 1/4-inch slices. On ungreased cookie sheets, place slices 2 inches apart.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until edges start to turn golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.
- These are ideal holiday cookies. You can keep the logs of dough in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks and bake them as you need fresh cookies. Or double-wrap them and freeze up to 1 month.
- Add an elegant look to these cookies by piping with powdered sugar drizzle. It is quick and easy if you line up rows of cookies so you can just pipe along a long row. Separate the cookies slightly as they set so they don’t stick together.
You May Also Like
Peppermint Snowball Cookies
'Tis the season for cookie making. Get in the spirit with these festive peppermint...
Blackberry Coffee Cake
Have you ever picked sun-ripened plump blackberries? You've just picked a great coffee...
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Wings
Crispy sweet and tangy chicken wings baked to finger-licking delicousness with a simple...