CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES WITH SALTED CARAMEL BUTTERCREAM
45 min Prep
1 hr 50 min Total
The ultimate in decadence: chocolate cupcakes topped with sweet caramel buttercream with a sprinkle of sea salt.
- 2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup salted caramel sauce
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons salted caramel sauce, slightly warmed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups. In medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat 2/3 cup softened butter and the granulated sugar with electric mixer on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, about 1 minute or until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until smooth. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Gradually beat flour mixture into sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk on low speed, beating after each addition, just until smooth. Scrape side of bowl occasionally.
- Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In large bowl, beat Frosting ingredients with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and spreadable. Place frosting in decorating bag fitted with large star tip. Pipe frosting in decorative swirl on top of each cupcake. Drizzle tops with remaining 2 tablespoons caramel sauce; sprinkle with sea salt.
- No decorating bag? Fill large resealable freezer plastic bag with frosting; cut off one bottom corner, and squeeze frosting out to decorate.
- If you have only one pan and a recipe calls for more cupcakes than your pan will make, cover and refrigerate the rest of the batter while baking the first batch. Cool the pan about 15 minutes, then bake the rest of the batter, adding 1 to 2 minutes to the bake time.
You May Also Like
French Silk Pie
A pie shop classic that’s easily made at home. Give it a try with this easy-to-follow...
Wonderful Italian breadsticks made with Gold Medal® flour are perfect to accompaniment...
Skinny Pumpkin Bread
50% less fat • 29% fewer calories • 50% more fiber than the original recipe. We’ve...