CLASSIC SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE
20 min Prep
1 hr 40 min Total
Savor a classic! A brown sugar, nut and spice filling is layered and baked in a rich sour cream coffee cake.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
Light Brown Glaze
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 12-cup fluted tube cake pan or 10-inch angel food (tube) cake pan.
- In small bowl, mix all Filling ingredients; set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl, beat granulated sugar, 3/4 cup butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and the eggs with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in flour mixture alternately with sour cream on low speed.
- Spread 1/3 of the batter (about 2 cups) in pan; sprinkle with 1/3 of the Filling (about 6 tablespoons). Repeat twice.
- Bake about 1 hour or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in 1 1/2-quart saucepan, heat 1/4 cup butter over medium heat until very light brown; remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until glaze is smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle cake with glaze.
- Skip the glaze and just sprinkle the coffee cake with powdered sugar or a mixture of powdered sugar and cinnamon.
You May Also Like
Kentucky Pecan Pie (lighter recipe)
Don’t say no to dessert just yet! This lighter pecan pie has the same great Kentucky...
Snickerdoodles (lighter recipe)
Make a lighter snickerdoodle so you can enjoy more of the rich cinnamon-sugar taste you...