CLASSIC SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE
20 min Prep
1 hr 40 min Total
Savor a classic! A brown sugar, nut and spice filling is layered and baked in a rich sour cream coffee cake.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
Light Brown Glaze
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 12-cup fluted tube cake pan or 10-inch angel food (tube) cake pan.
- In small bowl, mix all Filling ingredients; set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl, beat granulated sugar, 3/4 cup butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and the eggs with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in flour mixture alternately with sour cream on low speed.
- Spread 1/3 of the batter (about 2 cups) in pan; sprinkle with 1/3 of the Filling (about 6 tablespoons). Repeat twice.
- Bake about 1 hour or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in 1 1/2-quart saucepan, heat 1/4 cup butter over medium heat until very light brown; remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until glaze is smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle cake with glaze.
- Skip the glaze and just sprinkle the coffee cake with powdered sugar or a mixture of powdered sugar and cinnamon.
You May Also Like
Tender puffs filled with cool custard are a timeless dessert that never goes out of style.
Lemon Chiffon Cake
Taste a recipe classic! Feeling nostalgic is a natural side effect of enjoying each...