15 min Prep
3 hr 25 min Total
One of Betty's Best, this quick bread boasts cranberries and coarsely chopped nuts. What a flavor combination!
- 3 cups fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) cranberries
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons grated orange or lemon peel
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 inches, or 1 loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches.
- Stir together cranberries, sugar, oil, milk, vanilla, orange peel and eggs in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into pans.
- Bake 8-inch loaves 50 to 60 minutes, 9-inch loaf 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.
- Cranberries are also known as "bounceberries" because they bounce once they're ripe.
- Cool the bread completely before slicing to prevent crumbling. Cut with a sharp, thin-bladed knife, using a light sawing motion.
You May Also Like
Bûche de Noël with Buttercream Frosting
Make this Yule log cake (a French classic) a family tradition during the holidays.
Here's another baking classic that belongs in everyone's recipe box. A clove-scented...