DOUBLE-CRUST PASTRY (10-INCH PIE)
- 2 2/3 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- Mix flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut in shortening, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost leaves side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary).
- Gather pastry into a ball. Divide in half and shape into 2 flattened rounds on lightly floured surface. Wrap flattened rounds of pastry in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 45 minutes or until dough is firm and cold, yet pliable. This allows the shortening to become slightly firm, which helps make the baked pastry more flaky. If refrigerated longer, let pastry soften slightly before rolling.
- Roll one round on lightly floured surface, using floured rolling pin, into circle 2 inches larger than upside-down 10-inch glass pie plate. Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie plate. Unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side.
You May Also Like
Skinny Pumpkin Bread
50% less fat • 29% fewer calories • 50% more fiber than the original recipe. We’ve...
With a rich, buttery crust and tart lemon topping, this tried-and-true recipe always...
Classic Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
Peanut butter and chocolate come together in these great cookies made with Gold Medal®...