15 min Prep
2 hr 20 min Total
Enjoy the refreshing taste of the classic Cuban mojito in these delicious dessert bars - the perfect combination of rum, lime and mint.
- 3 tablespoons light rum or 1 1/2 teaspoons rum extract plus 3 tablespoons water
- 16 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice (from 6 limes)
- 2 to 3 drops green food color, if desired
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- In small bowl, combine rum and chopped mint. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 350° F. Lightly spray 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar together with electric mixer on medium speed. Mix in 1 3/4 cup of the flour on low speed, just until well combined. Press in pan. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until set and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix eggs and sugar, with whisk. Add remaining 1/4 cup flour and salt, mix with whisk until blended. Mix in lime peel, lime juice, food color and milk.
- Place strainer over medium bowl; pour rum mixture into strainer. Press mixture with back of spoon through strainer to drain liquid from leaves; discard leaves. Mix strained liquid into egg mixture, with whisk until well combined. Pour over partially baked crust. Bake 25 to 27 minutes longer or until center is set.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store bars, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.
- If desired, omit mint leaves and substitute 1/2 teaspoon mint extract. Add extract with the rum as directed.
You May Also Like
Looking for a homemade dessert using Gold Medal® flour? Then check out these cinnamon...
Kentucky Pecan Pie (lighter recipe)
Don’t say no to dessert just yet! This lighter pecan pie has the same great Kentucky...
Banana Bread (lighter recipe)
How do you make a good thing even better? By reducing the calorie and fat content of this...