15 min Prep
2 hr 20 min Total
Enjoy the refreshing taste of the classic Cuban mojito in these delicious dessert bars - the perfect combination of rum, lime and mint.
- 3 tablespoons light rum or 1 1/2 teaspoons rum extract plus 3 tablespoons water
- 16 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice (from 6 limes)
- 2 to 3 drops green food color, if desired
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- In small bowl, combine rum and chopped mint. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 350° F. Lightly spray 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar together with electric mixer on medium speed. Mix in 1 3/4 cup of the flour on low speed, just until well combined. Press in pan. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until set and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix eggs and sugar, with whisk. Add remaining 1/4 cup flour and salt, mix with whisk until blended. Mix in lime peel, lime juice, food color and milk.
- Place strainer over medium bowl; pour rum mixture into strainer. Press mixture with back of spoon through strainer to drain liquid from leaves; discard leaves. Mix strained liquid into egg mixture, with whisk until well combined. Pour over partially baked crust. Bake 25 to 27 minutes longer or until center is set.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store bars, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.
- If desired, omit mint leaves and substitute 1/2 teaspoon mint extract. Add extract with the rum as directed.
You May Also Like
Oven-Fried Picnic Chicken
Who doesn't love fried chicken? An all-time favorite, this chicken gets extra flavor from...
Fresh garden zucchini? Make a sweet and spicy bread. You can stir it up and have it in...