1 hr 10 min Prep
3 hr 25 min Total
Thick, chewy cookies with crackled sugary tops. Perfect for an after-school snack with cold milk.
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup mild-flavor molasses or full-flavor molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Granulated sugar
- Mix shortening, brown sugar, molasses and egg thoroughly in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients except granulated sugar. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Grease cookie sheet. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Dip tops in granulated sugar. Place balls, sugared sides up, 3 inches apart on cookie sheet. Sprinkle each with 2 or 3 drops of water.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or just until set but not hard. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.