Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies

Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies

  • 30 Minutes Prep 40 Minutes Total
  • 36 Servings
  • 120 Calories per Serving
Mmm! Make rich buttery, brown sugar and oat cookies with a hint of cinnamon and a bunch of juicy raisins.

Ingredient List

  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 cups quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup raisins, chopped nuts or semisweet chocolate chips, if desired


  1. Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, beat all ingredients except oats, flour and raisins with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in oats, flour and raisins.
  2. On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart.
  3. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until light brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.


  • Quick-cooking and old-fashioned rolled oats are interchangeable unless recipes call for a specific type. Instant oatmeal products are not the same as quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats and should not be used for baking—you will get gummy or mushy results.
  • For 3 grams of fat and 95 calories per serving, substitute unsweetened applesauce for the shortening and 1/2 cup fat-free cholesterol-free egg product for the eggs. Increase cinnamon and vanilla to 1 1/2 teaspoons each.
  • Press dough in ungreased 13x9-inch pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until light brown. Cool in pan on cooling rack. For 36 bars, cut into 6 rows by 6 rows.
  • A cookie with a permanent place on the roster of treats everyone should know how to make, oatmeal cookies are hearty and packed with goodness. The classic scratch version is easy to make—all it takes is three steps and ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. These oaty, chewy and perfectly (not overly!) sweet cookies are ideal as-is, but you can get creative with them, too. Try adding chocolate chips or chopped nuts in addition to, or instead of, raisins and there’ll be even more to love. Before you get started, check out Betty’s tips on how to bake the perfect cookie and everyone will ask for the recipe!

Nutrition Information

Daily Values (Amount per serving)

Total Fat 6g 9%, Saturated Fat 2 1/2g 13%, Cholesterol 20mg 6%, Sodium 100mg 4%, Potassium 45mg 1%, Total Carbohydrate 15g 5%, Dietary Fiber 0g 0%, Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 4%, Vitamin D 0%, Vitamin E 0%, Thiamin 6%, Riboflavin 2%, Niacin 0%, Vitamin B6 0%, Folic Acid 0%, Vitamin B12 0%, Pantothenic Acid 0%, Phosphorus 4%, Magnesium 4%, Zinc 0%, Selenium 6%, Copper 2%, Manganese 15%

Other Nutrients (Amount per serving)

Calories 120, Calories from Fat 60, Trans Fat 1/2g, Monounsaturated Fat 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1g, Soluble Fiber 0g, Insoluble Fiber 0g, Sugars 8g, Protein 2g, Beta-Carotene 0%, Omega-3 0g, Carbohydrate Choice 1, Starch 1/2, Fruit 0, Other Carbohydrate 1/2, Skim Milk 0, Low-Fat Milk 0, Milk 0, Vegetable 0, Very Lean Meat 0, Lean Meat 0, Medium-Fat Meat 0, High-Fat Meat 0, Fat 1, Fruits 0c, Vegetables 0c, Grains 1oz-eq, Meat & Beans 0oz-eq, Dairy 0c, Fats & Oils 1tsp