10 min Prep
1 hr 5 min Total
Taste an original! It’s classic gingerbread--sweet, aromatic and moist--just like you remember it.
- 2 1/3 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- Butterscotch Sauce, if desired
- Heat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour bottom and sides of square pan, 9x9x2 inches.
- Beat all ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm or cool.
- To ensure recipe success, do not use self-rising flour in this recipe.
- Pressed for time? Pick up a box of Betty Crocker® gingerbread cake and cookie mix.
You May Also Like
Peanut Butter Cookies
Packed with great peanut butter taste, these Betty's Best peanut butter cookies are sure...
Fresh Blueberry Cobbler
Yum! Kids of all ages will join in the fun of making and eating this down-to-earth...
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Make homemade frosting with just a few ingredients and in just a few minutes.