15 min Prep
3 hr 25 min Total
Fragrant with cinnamon and chopped nuts, this pumpkin bread is a classic.
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup raisins, if desired
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2 inches, or 1 loaf pan 9x5x3 inches, with shortening.
- Stir together pumpkin, sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into pans.
- Bake 8-inch loaves 50 to 60 minutes, 9-inch loaf 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours, before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.
- Greasing just the bottoms of the pans helps form a gently rounded top. If the sides are greased, edges of the loaf may have ridges.
- Go ahead and leave the raisins out if you don't like them. The bread will still be delicious!