SWEET COUNTRY CORNBREAD
10 min Prep
35 min Total
You can use yellow, white or blue cornmeal to make this classic cornbread.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups yellow, white or blue cornmeal
- 1 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 400°F. Grease bottom and side of round pan, 9x1 1/2 inches, or square pan, 8x8x2 inches.
- Beat milk, butter and egg in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients all at once just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy). Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Not all cornmeal is yellow! It can also be white or blue, depending on the type of corn it came from.
- To ensure recipe success if using a vegetable oil spread, use a spread with at least 65% vegetable oil.
- Rise to the occasion! If using self-rising flour, there is no need to add baking powder and salt.
- If you prefer corn muffins, grease just the bottoms of 12 regular-size muffin cups, or place paper baking cups in muffin cups. Fill about 3/4 full with batter.
You May Also Like
Dark Chocolate Cake with White Chocolate Frosting
Chocolate lovers—this cake is for you! Dark chocolate cake pairs with white chocolate...
Best-Ever Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
Fill your house with the best-ever aroma with spicy gingerbread cookies.
Tender tea cookies are enhanced with pretty specks of candied cherries and a delightful...