THE ULTIMATE VALENTINE'S DAY COOKIE
25 min Prep
60 min Total
Your sweetheart will be yours forever when you give him or her a batch of these delicious, heart-shaped cookies.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 1/4 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 drops red food color
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk or half-and-half
- Heat oven to 400°F. In large bowl, beat 1 cup powdered sugar, the butter and vinegar with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in remaining cookie ingredients except food color. Divide dough in half. Mix food color into one half. (If dough is too dry, stir in milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.)
- On lightly floured cloth-covered surface, roll dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut into heart shapes with various sizes of cookie cutters. Place smaller hearts on larger hearts of different color dough if desired. On ungreased cookie sheet, place shapes about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until set but not brown. Cool 1 to 2 minutes; carefully remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In medium bowl, mix all frosting ingredients until smooth and spreadable. Tint with food color if desired. Spread frosting on cookies.
- Valentine’s Day, named after Saint Valentine, is celebrated on February 14 by exchanging cards, candy, flowers and other tokens of affection (like these cookies!) with loved ones.
- If using plastic cookie cutters, dip them in vegetable oil to get a sharper, more defined edge on cookies.
You May Also Like
Chocolate-Banana Snack Cake
Munch on a snack cake that needs no frosting! Chocolate chips bake on top of a moist...
Almond-Poppy Seed Muffins
The flavors of almond and poppy seed pair nicely in a variety of baked goods. These moist...