ULTIMATE MAC AND CHEESE
25 min Prep
50 min Total
Searching for the cheesiest mac 'n' cheese? Try our rich and creamy take with 4 real cheeses.
- 5 cups uncooked penne pasta (16 oz)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese (4 oz)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (2 oz)
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese (2 oz)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 cup Progresso™ panko bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, in 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, melt 1/2 cup butter over low heat. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring frequently. With wire whisk, stir in flour and salt until smooth. Increase heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in cheeses. Cook until melted, stirring occasionally. Stir pasta and parsley into cheese sauce. Pour mixture into baking dish.
- In 6-inch skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat; stir in bread crumbs. Cook and stir until crumbs are golden brown. Sprinkle over pasta mixture.
- Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Panko bread crumbs are Japanese-style bread crumbs. They have a coarser texture and make for a much lighter and crunchier casserole. In a pinch, regular bread crumbs will also work.
- Slightly undercook the penne for a perfect al dente pasta in the casserole.
You May Also Like
Peppermint Snowball Cookies
'Tis the season for cookie making. Get in the spirit with these festive peppermint...
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
Treat the chocolate lovers of your family with this delicious cupcake - a perfect baked...
Irish Soda Bread
Whether or not you're Irish, this classic quick bread recipe brings great taste into your...