15 min Prep
3 hr 25 min Total
Fresh garden zucchini? Make a sweet and spicy bread. You can stir it up and have it in the oven in minutes.
- 3 cups shredded zucchini (2 to 3 medium)
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup raisins, if desired
- Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottoms only of 2 (8x4-inch) loaf pans or 1 (9x5-inch) loaf pan with shortening or cooking spray.
- In large bowl, stir zucchini, sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs until well mixed. Stir in remaining ingredients except nuts and raisins. Stir in nuts and raisins. Divide batter evenly between 8-inch pans or pour into 9-inch pan.
- Bake 8-inch loaves 50 to 60 minutes, 9-inch loaf 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on cooling rack 10 minutes.
- Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on cooling rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours, before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.
- Cranberry Bread: Omit zucchini, cinnamon, cloves and raisins. Stir in 1/2 cup milk and 2 teaspoons grated orange peel with the oil. Stir 3 cups fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) cranberries into batter. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Pumpkin Bread: Substitute 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) for the zucchini.
- To make muffins: Grease bottoms only of 24 regular-size muffin cups. Fill cups about 3/4 full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until tops spring back when touched lightly.
You May Also Like
Bread Machine Pumpkin Spice Quick Bread
Let your bread machine mix and bake a spicy quick bread! What a great aroma!
Walnut Apple-Peach Crisp with Cinnamon-Brown Sugar Crumble
Fall Baking Recipe Magazine Contest 2010 Winner Cinnamon, apples and peaches – oh my!...
Streusel-Topped Blueberry Muffins
Homemade streusel blueberry muffins burst with fresh flavor that store-bough muffins can...