20 min Prep
3 hr 30 min Total
Who needs frosting with a cake this moist and flavorful?
- 1 tablespoon Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and side of 12-cup fluted tube cake pan with shortening; lightly flour. Toss 1 tablespoon flour and the cranberries to coat; set aside. In large bowl, mix 2 1/2 cups flour, the pumpkin pie spice, salt, baking powder and baking soda; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat granulated sugar and butter with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally, until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until smooth and blended. Reduce mixer speed to medium. Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with applesauce until smooth. Stir in cranberry-flour mixture and walnuts. Pour into pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours. Sprinkle powdered sugar over cake.
- Use 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice for the pumpkin pie spice.
You May Also Like
Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
This scratch-made sugar cookie is incredibly soft and perfectly sweet, thanks to real...
Chocolate Chip-Oatmeal Shortbread Cookies
Just seven ingredients mix and bake up for a melt-in-your-mouth cookie jar favorite.