BANANA BREAD (LIGHTER RECIPE)
15 min Prep
2 hr 30 min Total
How do you make a good thing even better? By reducing the calorie and fat content of this irresistible banana bread. Ripe bananas and unsweetened applesauce ensure that the bread stays moist and tender.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup fat-free cholesterol-free egg product
- 1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts, if desired
- Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2 inches, or 1 loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches.
- Mix sugar, applesauce and margarine in large bowl. Stir in egg product until well blended. Add bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt just until moistened. Stir in nuts. Pour into pans.
- Bake 8-inch loaves about 1 hour, 9-inch loaf about 1 1/4 hours, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour, before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.
- Mini Banana Breads make great gifts! To make, grease bottoms only of 10 miniature loaf pans, 4 1/2x2 3/4x1 1/4 inches. Divide batter among pans (about 1/2 cup each). Bake 30 to 35 minutes.
- Stir 1/4 cup miniature or regular chocolate chips into the batter for mouthwatering flavor combinations.
- A fat-free glaze makes this quick bread even more irresistible! Mix 1/2 cup powdered sugar with about 2 teaspoons fat-free (skim) milk. Drizzle over warm bread.
- Rise to the occasion! If using self-rising flour, there is no need to add baking soda and salt.
- Don’t worry about “cracking up.” A large, lengthwise crack in the thin, tender top crust of a quick bread is normal.
You May Also Like
Walnut Apple-Peach Crisp with Cinnamon-Brown Sugar Crumble
Fall Baking Recipe Magazine Contest 2010 Winner Cinnamon, apples and peaches – oh my!...
Brown Sugar Cake with Buttery Brown Sugar Sauce
The recipe title says it all--rich buttery brown sugar flavor, mmm.
Twisting ropes of colored dough is the secret to peppermint-swirled buttery cookies.