BÛCHE DE NOËL WITH BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
40 min Prep
1 hr 25 min Total
Make this Yule log cake (a French classic) a family tradition during the holidays.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules or crystals
- 1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot water
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup chopped green pistachio nuts
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line 15x10x1-inch pan with foil or waxed paper; grease with shortening or cooking spray. In small bowl, beat eggs with electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until very thick and lemon colored. Pour eggs into large bowl; gradually beat in 1 cup granulated sugar. Beat in 1/3 cup water and the vanilla on low speed. Gradually add flour, baking powder and salt, beating just until batter is smooth. Pour into pan, spreading batter to corners.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan; invert onto towel generously sprinkled with powdered sugar. Carefully remove foil. Trim off stiff edges of cake if necessary. While hot, carefully roll cake and towel from narrow end. Cool on cooling rack at least 30 minutes.
- In chilled medium bowl, beat all filling ingredients on high speed until stiff. Unroll cake; remove towel. Spread filling over cake. Roll up cake.
- In medium bowl, beat cocoa and butter on low speed until thoroughly mixed. Beat in powdered sugar until mixed. Beat in vanilla and enough of the hot water until frosting is smooth and spreadable.
- For tree stump, cut off a 2-inch diagonal slice from one end of cake. Attach stump to one long side using 1 tablespoon frosting. Frost cake with remaining frosting. With tines of fork, make strokes in frosting to look like tree bark. Garnish with nuts.
- The chopped pistachio nuts give your cake “log” a natural moss-covered appearance. Other edible natural-looking adornments include chocolate leaves, meringue mushrooms, mint gumdrop leaves and red cinnamon candies.
- Rise to the occasion! If using self-rising flour, there is no need to add baking powder and salt.
You May Also Like
Lemon-Butter Pound Cake Bars
Whip up a pan of delicious lemon bars in a saucepan. No mixer is needed.
Bring a tempting aroma and goodness into your kitchen with hard-to-pass classic...