40 min Prep
40 min Total
If you grew up with family fish fries, you know just how tasty fried fish and all the trimmings are.
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons Cajun Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 egg
- 2 pounds catfish nuggets, skin removed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- In heavy 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat to 375°F.
- In shallow dish, stir together flour, cornmeal, Creole seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder and red pepper. In another shallow dish, beat egg with fork until foamy.
- Sprinkle catfish nuggets with salt and lemon juice. Dip each nugget into beaten egg, then roll in flour mixture to coat. Drop 4 to 6 nuggets at a time into hot oil. Cook 2 minutes; turn and cook 1 minute longer or until deep golden brown. Remove from oil; drain on paper towels.
- If you can't find catfish nuggets at your supermarket, you can purchase 2 pounds of catfish fillets and cut them into about 2-inch pieces.
- A staple in Georgia and Mississippi, fried catfish morsels are dynamite dunked in tangy tartar sauce and served with coleslaw and baked beans.
You May Also Like
Honey-Baked Sriracha Chicken Wings
To keep these sticky wings mellow, we used apricot jam, honey and a squeeze of fresh...
Best No-Roll Sugar Cookies
No roll about it, these cookies are packed with flavor and easy to make. Bake a batch...