CHOCOLATE DROP COOKIES
50 min Prep
1 hr 30 min Total
Get a double hit of chocolate with rich and chocolaty cookies topped with deep chocolate frosting.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, melted, cooled
- 1 3/4 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- Heat oven to 400°F. Grease cookie sheet with shortening or cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat granulated sugar, 1/2 cup butter, the buttermilk, vanilla, egg and 2 ounces melted chocolate with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt.
- On cookie sheet, drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until almost no indentation remains when touched in center. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt 2 ounces chocolate and 2 tablespoons butter over low heat, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar and hot water until smooth. (If frosting is too thick, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time. If frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Spread over cookies.
- Unsweetened baking chocolate contains 50 to 58 percent cocoa butter. Bitter in flavor, it's used primarily in baking. You'll find it in the supermarket in a rectangular box containing packages of one-ounce squares or bars.
- Frost cookies with a container of your favorite flavor of Betty Crocker® frosting.
- Store cookies in a baking pan with waxed paper between layers of cookies.
You May Also Like
Rhubarb Meringue Dessert
A press-in-the-pan crust makes an easier-than-pie dessert that tastes just as heavenly!
Raspberry Pistachio Thumbprints
Here's a must-have holiday cookie that's a great addition to any dessert buffet.
Pumpkin-Spice Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
A perfect dessert for fall potlucks, delicious pumpkin bars are made even better with...