CLASSIC PUMPKIN PIE
25 min Prep
6 hr 45 min Total
Who says basic has to be bland? Every slice of Classic Pumpkin Pie is bursting with the flavors of seasonal spices.
- 1 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon
Spiced Cream Clouds
- In medium bowl, mix flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cut in shortening, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost leaves side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary).
- Gather pastry into a ball. On lightly floured surface, shape dough into flattened round. Wrap pastry in plastic wrap; refrigerate about 45 minutes or until dough is firm and cold, yet pliable.
- Heat oven to 425°F. On lightly floured surface, roll pastry with floured rolling pin into round 2 inches larger than upside-down 9-inch glass pie plate. Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie plate. Unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side. Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim of pie plate. Fold and roll pastry under, even with plate; flute as desired.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs slightly with wire whisk. Beat in remaining filling ingredients. Place pastry-lined pie plate on oven rack to prevent spilling the filling. Pour filling into pie plate. Cover edge of crust with 2- to 3-inch strip of foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake about 45 minutes longer, removing foil during last 15 minutes of baking, until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate about 4 hours or until chilled.
- In chilled small bowl, beat topping ingredients with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Serve pie topping with whipped cream.
You May Also Like
Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies
Fill your cookie jar with a classic drop cookie that's doubly satisfying. Chocolate...
Skinny Pumpkin Pie
53% less fat • 80% less sat fat • 24% fewer calories than the original recipe. The real...