15 min Prep
2 hr 50 min Total
Show them you care with this sugar-crusted holiday fruit and nut bread. It’s good enough for gift-giving—just make it in a disposable aluminum foil pan.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded peeled apple (about 1 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom only of 8x4- or 9x5-inch loaf pan with shortening.
- In large bowl, mix 3/4 cup sugar, the oil and egg. Stir in apple, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir in walnuts and cranberries. Pour batter into pan. In small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon sugar and the cinnamon; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaf from pan; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours, before slicing.
- To easily shred the apple, use a medium-sized grater.
- For added fiber, leave the peel on the apple.
- Make the bread ahead and refrigerate or freeze. The bread will actually become more moist and easier to slice after storage.
- This is a perfect bread for gift giving! Bake it in a disposable aluminum foil pan. When cool, wrap in foil or colored plastic wrap and tie with a ribbon.
You May Also Like
Fresh Peach and Blueberry Tart
Sweet peaches and blueberries top a flaky layer tart of homemade puff pastry.
Chocolate-Filled Russian Tea Cakes
Chocolate stars are the sweet surprise inside tender, bite-sized cookies coated with...
In just one holiday cheery blink, these cookies can disappear. Double the recipe for the...