CREAM CHEESE SUGAR COOKIES
50 min Prep
1 hr 40 min Total
This scratch-made sugar cookie is incredibly soft and perfectly sweet, thanks to real vanilla buttercream frosting.
- 2 1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Betty Crocker™ gel food colors, as desired
- Betty Crocker™ candy sprinkles, as desired
- Heat oven to 350°F. In small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat granulated sugar, cream cheese and 1/2 cup softened butter with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until fluffy; scrape side of bowl. Beat in egg just until smooth. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla. On low speed, beat flour mixture into sugar mixture until well blended. Cover and refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Shape dough into 60 (1-inch) balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are set. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat powdered sugar, 1/4 cup softened butter, 2 to 4 tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla with spoon until smooth and fluffy. If frosting is too stiff to spread, add additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time. Tint with food color. Using knife, spread slightly less than 1 teaspoon frosting on each cooled cookie; top with sprinkles. Store covered in airtight container at room temperature.
- Short on time? Use Betty Crocker™ frosting instead of the powdered sugar frosting.
- Having at least 2 cookie sheets is helpful. When one batch of cookies is finished baking, another batch is ready to go.
You May Also Like
Rhubarb Cheesecake Bars
Creamy rhubarb filling is flanked top and bottom by a caramel-like crumbly mixture. Yum!
Cornmeal muffins have a slight sweet taste that's enhanced with whole kernel corn....
All the great cinnamon flavors of snickerdoodle cookies are captured in these wonderful...