CREAM CHEESE SUGAR COOKIES
50 min Prep
1 hr 40 min Total
This scratch-made sugar cookie is incredibly soft and perfectly sweet, thanks to real vanilla buttercream frosting.
- 2 1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Betty Crocker™ gel food colors, as desired
- Betty Crocker™ candy sprinkles, as desired
- Heat oven to 350°F. In small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat granulated sugar, cream cheese and 1/2 cup softened butter with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until fluffy; scrape side of bowl. Beat in egg just until smooth. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla. On low speed, beat flour mixture into sugar mixture until well blended. Cover and refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Shape dough into 60 (1-inch) balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are set. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat powdered sugar, 1/4 cup softened butter, 2 to 4 tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla with spoon until smooth and fluffy. If frosting is too stiff to spread, add additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time. Tint with food color. Using knife, spread slightly less than 1 teaspoon frosting on each cooled cookie; top with sprinkles. Store covered in airtight container at room temperature.
- Short on time? Use Betty Crocker™ frosting instead of the powdered sugar frosting.
- Having at least 2 cookie sheets is helpful. When one batch of cookies is finished baking, another batch is ready to go.