45 min Prep
1 hr 45 min Total
Butter, whipping cream and flour are the magic trio that creates dough that bakes into melt-in-your-mouth wafer cookies.
- 2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup whipping (heavy) cream
- Granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, lemon extract or peppermint extract
- Food color, if desired
- In medium bowl, mix flour, 1 cup butter and the whipping cream with spoon. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Roll one-third of dough at a time 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough refrigerated until ready to roll.) Cut into desired shapes with 1 1/2-inch cookie cutters. Generously cover large piece of waxed paper with granulated sugar. Transfer cutouts to waxed paper, using pancake turner. Turn each cutout to coat both sides. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Prick each cutout with fork about 4 times.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or just until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, mix all Creamy Filling ingredients until smooth. Add a few drops water if necessary. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon filling between bottoms of pairs of cookies.
- To make rolled cookies, start with properly chlled dough. Avoid rerolling the dough more than twice to bake the most tender cookies.