FRESH PEACH COBBLER
25 min Prep
1 hr 5 min Total
A down-home dessert that goes together in a flash!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups sliced fresh peaches (6 medium)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Cream, if desired
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar, the cornstarch and cinnamon in 2-quart saucepan. Stir in peaches and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Pour into ungreased 2-quart casserole; keep peach mixture hot in oven.
- Cut shortening into flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, the baking powder and salt in medium bowl, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture look like fine crumbs. Stir in milk. Drop dough by 6 spoonfuls onto hot peach mixture.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm with cream if desired.
- If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt.
- Short on time? Use two 16-ounce packages frozen sliced peaches, thawed and well drained, instead of the fresh peaches.
You May Also Like
New Orleans "Best" Gumbo
From Betty's Soul Food Collection... Soul food takes on a spicy accent in gumbo packed...
They may have an unusual name, but these rich cinnamon-sugar cookies are great for the...