GOLD MEDAL® CLASSIC SCONES
15 min Prep
35 min Total
Get melt-in-your-mouth sweetness from a tested and trusted classic.
- 1 3/4 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 to 6 tablespoons whipping cream
- Additional 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons white decorator sugar crystals or granulated sugar
- Heat the oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, stir the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder and salt until mixed. Cut in the butter, using a pastry blender or fork, until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with a fork until yolk and white are mixed. Using the fork, stir the egg, vanilla and just enough of the 4 to 6 tablespoons whipping cream into the flour mixture until mixture forms a soft dough and leaves the side of the bowl.
- Lightly sprinkle flour over a cutting board or countertop. Place dough on floured surface; gently roll in the flour to coat. To knead dough, fold dough toward you. With the heels of your hands, lightly push dough away from you with a short rocking motion. Move dough a quarter turn and repeat 10 times. Dough will feel springy and smooth.
- Place the dough on an ungreased cookie sheet. Roll dough with a rolling pin or pat dough with fingers into an 8-inch round. Using a sharp knife that has been dipped in flour, cut dough round into 8 wedges, but do not separate the wedges. Brush 1 tablespoon whipping cream over wedges, using a pastry brush. Sprinkle with sugar crystals.
- Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to a cooling rack; carefully separate wedges. Serve warm.
- Chocolate Chip Scones: Stir in 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips with the egg, vanilla and whipping cream in step 2.
- Currant Scones: Stir in 1/2 cup currants or raisins with the egg, vanilla and whipping cream in step 2.
- Use a sharp knife that has been dipped in flour to cut the dough into wedges. Do not separate the wedges before baking.
You May Also Like
Streusel-Topped Blueberry Muffins
Homemade streusel blueberry muffins burst with fresh flavor that store-bough muffins can...
Fresh Peach and Blueberry Tart
Sweet peaches and blueberries top a flaky layer tart of homemade puff pastry.
Quickly combine all ingredients in one bowl and pour into a pan. In 20 minutes, you'll be...