LUSCIOUS LEMON SQUARES
10 min Prep
60 min Total
Everyone loves homemade lemon squares! These refreshing sweet and lightly tart lemon squares are Betty's Best.
- 1 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel, if desired
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- Powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix flour, butter and powdered sugar. Press in ungreased square pan, 8x8x2 or 9x9x2 inches, building up 1/2-inch edges.
- Bake crust 20 minutes.
- Beat granulated sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice, baking powder, salt and eggs with electric mixer on high speed about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Pour over hot crust.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until no indentation remains when touched lightly in center. Cool; dust with powdered sugar. Cut into about 1 1/2-inch squares.
- Grate only the yellow portion of the lemon; the white portion, or pith, is very bitter.
- Rise to the occasion! Self-rising flour can be used in this recipe. (Do not omit baking powder and salt.)
- To ensure recipe success, do not use vegetable oil spreads.
- For a bright lemon color, add 4 to 6 drops of yellow food color with the eggs and sugar mixture.
- One medium lemon should give you just enough peel and juice to make these refreshing bar cookies.
- Make Lemon-Coconut Squares: Stir 1/2 cup flaked coconut into egg mixture in step 2.
You May Also Like
Perfect Pumpkin Pie
A little apple butter stirred into the filling of this pumpkin pie is the secret...
These delightful treats are a welcome addition to any cookie tray. The colorful bites are...