RHUBARB CHEESECAKE BARS
20 min Prep
4 hr 40 min Total
Creamy rhubarb filling is flanked top and bottom by a caramel-like crumbly mixture. Yum!
- 2 1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease bottom and sides of jelly roll pan, 15 1/2x10 1/2x1 inch, with shortening, or spray with cooking spray. Beat flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, salt and baking soda in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until crumbly, or mix with spoon. Press about 4 cups of the mixture in pan.
- Beat remaining ingredients except rhubarb in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Stir in rhubarb. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture; press lightly.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until center is set; cool 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours but no longer than 48 hours. For bars, cut into 10 rows by 6 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.
- Rhubarb is actually a vegetable and originated in China over 4,000 years ago. The deeper the red, the more flavorful the rhubarb stalks are likely to be. Medium-size stalks are generally more tender than large ones, which may be stringy.
- Turn these bars into a decadent dessert. Serve larger squares on dessert plates drizzled with caramel sauce, then add soft whipped cream and an edible flower to dazzle guests.
You May Also Like
Sunburst Lemon Bars
Bake these lemony crowd-pleasers for your next gathering--even the simple glaze has a...