SLOW-COOKER COUNTRY FRENCH BEEF STEW
25 min Prep
7 hr 55 min Total
Go hearty and rustic on a chilly day with this country stew of veggies and chunks of beef in a red wine broth. Ladle it over noodles straight from the slow cooker.
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 lb), trimmed of fat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 3 cups ready-to-serve baby-cut carrots
- 1 cup red Zinfandel wine or nonalcoholic red wine
- 3/4 cup Progresso™ beef flavored broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 3 tablespoons Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (8 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms (3 cups)
- 1/2 cup julienne-cut sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
- Hot cooked egg noodles, if desired
- Chopped fresh parsley or basil leaves, if desired
- Spray 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Place bacon in cooker. Discard all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat in skillet. Cook beef in bacon fat 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown. Stir onion into beef. Cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Spoon mixture into cooker.
- Stir carrots, wine, broth, flour, basil, thyme, salt, pepper and canned diced tomatoes into mixture in cooker.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours.
- Stir in mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 20 to 30 minutes longer or until sun-dried tomatoes are tender. Serve beef mixture over noodles; sprinkle with parsley.
- Use beef broth instead of the wine if you prefer.
- To save time, use beef stew meat instead of cutting the beef roast into pieces.
- If you can't find the julienne-cut sun-dried tomatoes, cut your whole ones with a kitchen scissors.
You May Also Like
Three ingredients and 30 minutes are all you need to have piping hot homemade biscuits.
Bread Machine Crusty Sourdough Bread
We've unraveled the closely guarded secret to great sourdough bread and made it "bread...
Sweet bits of dried apricots balance the hearty texture of oats in mouth-watering muffins.