40 min Prep
1 hr 35 min Total
All the great cinnamon flavors of snickerdoodle cookies are captured in these wonderful homespun cupcakes.
- 2 3/4 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and the salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat shortening with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Gradually add 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar, about 1/3 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl occasionally. Beat 2 minutes longer. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. On low speed, alternately add flour mixture, about one-third at a time, and 1 1/4 cups milk, about half at a time, beating just until blended.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each with about 3 tablespoons batter or until about two-thirds full.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In large bowl, mix powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon and the butter with electric mixer on low speed. Beat in 1 tablespoon vanilla and 2 tablespoons milk. Gradually beat in enough remaining milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make frosting smooth and spreadable. Frost cooled cupcakes. In small bowl, mix garnish ingredients; sprinkle over frosted cupcakes.