40 min Prep
1 hr 20 min Total
These delightful treats are a welcome addition to any cookie tray. The colorful bites are filled with your favorite jelly.
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix brown sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla and egg yolk in medium bowl. Stir in flour and salt until dough holds together.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Beat egg white slightly. Dip each ball into egg white. Roll in nuts. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Press thumb deeply in center of each.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Fill thumbprints with jelly.
- These cookies were often called Thimble Cookies in older cookbooks because bakers used a thimble to make the indentation.
- You'll be done in a flash if you use a food processor to chop the nuts.
You May Also Like
Old-Fashioned Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies
Bite into good old-fashioned homemade goodness with classic oatmeal cookies. You'll find...
Classic Red Velvet Cake
Make this classic cake from scratch! Although the exact origins of red velvet cake...