40 min Prep
1 hr 20 min Total
These delightful treats are a welcome addition to any cookie tray. The colorful bites are filled with your favorite jelly.
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix brown sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla and egg yolk in medium bowl. Stir in flour and salt until dough holds together.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Beat egg white slightly. Dip each ball into egg white. Roll in nuts. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Press thumb deeply in center of each.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Fill thumbprints with jelly.
- These cookies were often called Thimble Cookies in older cookbooks because bakers used a thimble to make the indentation.
- You'll be done in a flash if you use a food processor to chop the nuts.
You May Also Like
If you grew up with family fish fries, you know just how tasty fried fish and all the...
Quickly combine all ingredients in one bowl and pour into a pan. In 20 minutes, you'll be...