PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
15 min Prep
1 hr 10 min Total
Bake a classic dessert! Buttery rich and caramelly pineapple take this yellow cake.
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 9 slices pineapple in juice (from 14-oz can), drained
- 9 maraschino cherries without stems, if desired
- 1 1/3 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 350°F. In 9-inch square pan, melt butter in oven. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over melted butter. Arrange pineapple slices over brown sugar. Place cherry in center of each pineapple slice.
- In medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter over pineapple and cherries.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately place heatproof serving plate upside down over pan; turn plate and pan over. Leave pan over cake a few minutes so brown sugar mixture can drizzle over cake; remove pan. Serve warm. Store cake loosely covered.
- A dollop of whipped cream is a welcome addition to this classic cake.
You May Also Like
Lemon-Butter Pound Cake Bars
Whip up a pan of delicious lemon bars in a saucepan. No mixer is needed.
Fresh garden zucchini? Make a sweet and spicy bread. You can stir it up and have it in...