SEASON'S BEST SUGAR COOKIES
60 min Prep
3 hr 0 min Total
A classic sugar cookie recipe will become a treasured part of your recipe collection.
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Red edible glitter or red sugar
- In large bowl, beat 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and the butter with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon almond extract and the egg. Stir in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm.
- Heat oven to 375°F. On lightly floured cloth-covered surface, roll half of dough at a time 1/8 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes. On ungreased cookie sheets, place 2 inches apart.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until light brown. Remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Mix glaze ingredients until smooth and desired spreading consistency, adding a few extra drops milk if needed. Spread glaze over cookies. Sprinkle with sugars.
- When you're making cutout cookies, always work with well-chilled dough. Cold dough rolls out smoothly, with less sticking. The cookies are easy to cut, remove, and transfer to baking sheets, and they hold their shape in the oven.
- To purchase edible glitter, go to sweetc.com and search for edible glitter.
You May Also Like
Old-Fashioned Cinnamon Rolls
Enjoy these wonderful cinnamon rolls made with Gold Medal® all-purpose flour.
Fresh garden zucchini? Make a sweet and spicy bread. You can stir it up and have it in...
Chocolate Swirl Babka
This decadent babka is swirled with toasted nuts and a dark chocolate filling that’s full...