DARK CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE
20 min Prep
3 hr 45 min Total
Put a sophisticated twist on traditional pecan pie by stirring dark chocolate chips into the filling!
- 1 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold shortening
- 2 to 4 tablespoons ice cold water
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pecan halves (coarsely chop 1/2 cup of the pecans)
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- In medium bowl, mix flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cut in shortening, using pastry blender, until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle flour mixture with 2 tablespoons cold water, tossing gently with pastry blender to moisten flour mixture. Add additional water 1 teaspoon at a time, until flour mixture forms moist clumps.
- Gather flour mixture into a ball (some flour will be left in bowl). Gently shape into a flatten round. On surface sprinkled lightly with flour, use floured rolling pin to roll pastry into circle 1 inch larger than upside-down 9-inch pie plate. Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie plate. Unfold and ease into plate. Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim of pie plate. Fold pastry under even with plate edges; flute as desired.
- In large bowl, mix brown sugar, melted butter, corn syrup, vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the eggs using whisk. Stir in pecans and chocolate chips. Pour into pastry-lined pie plate.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until top is golden brown and center of pie jiggles slightly when pie is gently moved back and forth. Cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate about 2 hours until chilled.
- If desired, top pie with whipped cream, and drizzle with 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips melted with 1 teaspoon vegetable oil.
You May Also Like
Quickly combine all ingredients in one bowl and pour into a pan. In 20 minutes, you'll be...
Classic Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
Enjoy this nutty chocolate and pecan bar made with Gold Medal® all-purpose flour – a...
Crispy Buttermilk Oven-Fried Chicken (Makeover)
From Betty's Soul Food Collection... The secret’s revealed! You can have oven-fried...